Recreation therapy is provided Monday through Saturday, including holidays. On-campus groups typically last for one hour. Off-campus group outings last from two hours to a full day, depending on tier status.
- Tier 0 - recreation therapy on the unit.
- Tier 1 - groups on campus (inside and outside).
- Tier 2 - on-campus groups and one outing each week.
- Tiers 3 and 4 - on-campus groups and two outings each week. Once a month, Tier 3 and 4 residents plan an outing under the direction of staff.
Groups and activities focus on the following topics:
- Leisure education and recreational activities
- Social and coping skills
- Anger control training
- Decision-making and moral reasoning
- Self-esteem and self-efficacy
- Low & high Ropes Course elements
- Team-building and sportsmanship
- Communication and trust
- Stress management and relaxation
- Diversity awareness
- Outdoor skills
- Arts and crafts
Outings may include:
Winter activities: ice skating, cross-country skiing, sledding.
Summer activities: hiking, day camping, outdoor cooking, sports and games.
Educational Field Trips: Museum of Idaho, BYU-Idaho Planetarium, Idaho Falls Public Library, Idaho Falls Zoo.
Community Service: humanitarian projects, clean-up at the local parks and zoo, and trail maintenance.
Cultural Events: plays and musicals at the Colonial Arts Center, outdoor events during the summer, local parades and festivities.
Recreational Activities: bowling, batting cages, roller-skating, billiards, swimming, trips to local recreation center, kite flying, baseball games, miniature golfing, movies, YMCA and other group sports and games